To function at our very best, we need to take vitamins and minerals. It is crucial, especially for older adults. As we age, we need to give our body the proper care it deserves, and taking the necessary vitamins will help us to be healthy, physically and mentally. Although they are many kinds of vitamins available on the market today, studies have shown that taking the right vitamins provides us with many benefits as we age. We do get vitamins and minerals through the food we eat daily. Most of us have a routine, well-balanced and healthy diet but some of us do not. That is why we must be proactive about having the right diet and supplement program. For those who do not get the necessary minerals through their food, taking vitamins especially for your aging loved ones, is one way for their body to get its nutrients and supplements. Do consult your doctor for advice before taking any vitamins and if you are concern about your loved ones’ health, there are many senior living community available for them to be taken care of.
Are vitamins necessary for older adults?
Older adults tend to take more medications daily and mixing that with vitamins can have a negative impact, as one will interfere with the other. This is why you or your aging loved ones must understand the kinds of vitamins needed for your own body. There is no denying that having a nutritious and well-balanced lifestyle can help the process of aging. Many adults aged 60 and above are deficient in important nutrients and vitamins. Based on many types of research, older adults tend to have inadequate intake of vitamins and this statistic is a healthcare concern. Vitamins can help older generations of adults to lead a healthy and active lifestyle, maintaining their mental and physical health for longer.
What are the Different Kinds of Vitamins?
Before your loved ones can take any vitamins, they must talk to a doctor or pharmacist first. They can advise on which kinds of vitamins are best for them. They will be able to help point your loved ones in the right direction about their specific needs. It is good to have some basic knowledge about the types of vitamins and the benefits and problems each may pose.
- Vitamin A: Important for vision, reproduction, and the immune system. Vitamin A can be found in meat and fish such as salmon. It can also be found in fruits such as apricots and cantaloupes. It cannot interact with any weight loss drug so be wise not to take both at the same time.
- Vitamin B12: Keep our blood cells healthy and prevents megaloblastic anemia, which makes people weak and tired. Can be found in clams and beef liver. Medicines that treat acid reflux cannot be taken together as they may interfere with the body’s absorption of this vitamin.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is an antioxidant. Helps to protect cells from compounds called free radicals. Vitamin C is also needed to produce collagen, which helps to heal wounds. Citrus fruits and red and green peppers are excellent sources for this vitamin. If your loved ones are undergoing cancer treatment, seek a consult from a doctor first.
- Vitamin D: Maintain strong bones by absorbing calcium. Our nerves and immune system can also benefit greatly from Vitamin D and can help older people suffering from osteoporosis. Salmon, mackerel, and beef liver are great sources of this vitamin. Corticosteroid medicine may hinder the body’s ability to absorb Vitamin D.
- Vitamin K: Helps with wound care. Great for older people as they are prone to falls. Can be found in leafy vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli. Consult a doctor before taking any Vitamin K if you are a stroke patient.
Consider Us at The Welstone At Mission Crossing for Your Loved One’s Golden Years
Taking vitamins regularly is an important part of your life, especially if you are older. The health benefits alone could be the difference in how you are feeling daily. If you are looking at a senior living community, why not take a look at The Welstone At Mission Crossing. We offer the freedom of independent senior living, state-of-the-art amenities, and a calendar full of activities so that your loved ones will enjoy their life here with us. Schedule a tour with us now to experience what it is like to stay with us.